Monday, January 24, 2011

Indefinitely, For Now

I have been home for almost 3 weeks. Much of this blog has been dedicated to bemoaning my discovery that adult life isn't easy, and that it is especially not easy when you move away from home - from family, friends, the familiar. It's funny how after six months of wishing I could click my heels three times and be in Tulsa, I am now finding myself anxious, jittery, nervous about being back here. For the first time in at least 5 years, I find myself unloading boxes and bags with no intention of packing them up again. Instead of returning to college, or trips abroad, or commuting back to Kansas City, I have no definite plans to move anywhere. It's a strange feeling. I find myself relating to Edward Bloom, larger-than-life, bigger-than-his-small-town, adventurer in the delightful film Big Fish, who said: "The truth is, I'm just not ready to end up anywhere." After all the tears, lonely days, and long-distance phone calls, part of me became accustomed to living away. I could see myself easily settling down in Tulsa. It's a great city, lots of young professionals, job opportunities, low cost of living, plus the nearness of those I love. I'm surrounded by a lot of pro-Tulsa people who are excited about this city and its potential. Ending up here wouldn't be bad at all. But I don't know if I'm ready to end up anywhere yet. There are cities I want to visit and move to, jobs I would like to try out for a little while. Am I ready to stay in one place?

1 comment:

  1. soo... i'm kinda stalking this post. but, understand, you're not alone in that feeling. it's scary. and it's always easier to love or hate something when you have something lined up. here though, is an amazing opportunity to learn contentment/trust (which is beautiful, in what it can do for other areas of your life).

    ReplyDelete