Monday, January 3, 2011

A Farewell Letter

Dear Kansas City,

Strange to think there was a time I barely knew you. In a few short months you've gone from a stranger to a place I cannot imagine not being a part of my life. Sometimes it still feel like I don't know you. Sure, I've learned your streets, I've seen your charm. You've won me over in more than one way. But there is so much of you that I have yet to discover. I realized today, that to you, I am just a girl who moved in and who is moving away. I guess I always thought it was something more. That you would ask me to stay, woo me to explore more of you. That you felt something more for me. I shouldn't be so hurt by your nonchalance. The truth is I chose not to let you in either. You are not my home. As much as I want to love you with my whole heart, I couldn't bear to let you in. So I suppose this is partly my fault. I can't expect you to feel more about me. It's her you love, the one who is from here. The one who knows you in a way you wouldn't let me know you. She will be here once I am gone. She will stay with you. Your dark I know, your city lights, your exciting and dangerous parts. But she has your mornings, your breakfasts, your long conversations. So I suppose it's partly my fault. We remain shallow friends. Sure I will come to visit. And I'm sure you will embrace me with open arms and take me through your streets once again. But I want you know that you have changed me, Kansas City. You have been here through some of my best and worst moments. I left my home for you. I have made so many mistakes with you. And now I must leave you. You will move on, you will find another girl who will move in and hopefully she will love you more and no less than I have. You may forget me, another face lost in your long memory. But I won't forget you. I am sorry I didn't let you in. I suppose it's partly my fault. It will make this departure easier, but I will always have this regret: that I didn't ask you to love me like you love the one who will stay here, that I kept you at a distance, because part of me thinks you would have been a lovely place to call home.

I will miss you and care for you always,
Chelsea

No comments:

Post a Comment