Tuesday, March 15, 2011

True Joy in Life

“This is the true joy in life - being used for a purpose recognized by yourself as a mighty one; being thoroughly worn out before you are thrown on the scrap heap; being a force of nature instead of a feverish selfish little clod of ailments and grievances complaining that the world will not devote itself to making you happy.” - George Bernard Shaw

I find this an to be an interesting thought: true joy in life coming from being used up in a purpose you find meaningful. Too often, I think my generation believes happiness is found in the absence of work. Isn't that the goal of retirement? Isn't that why we kill ourselves when we are young, bemoaning the 8-hour (don't even get me started on overtime) work day and the (god-forbid) expectations and responsibilities placed upon us by our employers? In hopes that one day we can live the dream and not work? Now, I am not of the opinion that life should be all about work, that trivial things like family, rest, traveling, and fun should always take a back-burner to jobs and opportunities. I think there must be a balance to it all. But I also think that a lot of the people I have met who are my age, are genuinely disappointed that they are expected to work at their jobs. They expect the world to deliver happiness to their doorstep, without ever stepping out and getting their shoes dirty. I guess I just love the challenge to not become a "feverish selfish little clod," but to seek out my own happiness and to pursue those things that I deem mighty and purposeful. My happiness and my success are in my own hands. They can remain idle, or I can put them to work and make things happen.

No comments:

Post a Comment